The use of the word “civilization” varies with time, context, and essentially what the greatest thinkers and philosophers do with it. Thus, civilization can be understood as sedentary lifestyle, way of life, technical progress or even interaction. Sources : Dr. Ragheb El-Sergany, “The term civilization, how to understand it ?” , 2012
- Around 630 A.D., Islam begins its expansion.
- Vast territories are established over time coming from Indian borders to some southern spanish territories.
- Most of the significant expansion occured during the reign of the Rashidun from 632 to 661 A.D.
- The caliphate was designed as a new political structure that evolved to sophistication durind the Umayyad and Abbasid caliphates.
Islam spread to all of these regions in several ways:
- Sometimes knowledge was transported with large caravans or with seagoing ships passing through vast trade networks. The latter extended over land and sea.
- At other times it was disseminated through military conquest and through the work of missionaries. As Islamic ideas and cultures came into contact with new societies, they diversified, became more complex and formed a cultural base mixing refinement and religion.
To know what was Middle-East before Islam, watch this video below !